Don’t Face a Criminal Trial Without a Defense Lawyer

Understand your rights during a conviction plea in the Livingston and Cookeville, TN area

If you’ve been charged with a crime, it’s essential that you understand the next few steps. If you’re considering pleading guilty, contact Colson, Maxwell, and Smith right away. You need to know your trial rights and the maximum amount of time you could spend in jail. Our attorneys will make sure you understand what’s at stake.

How you plea is ultimately your decision, but you need a criminal defense attorney serving Livingston and Cookeville, TN to help you understand your rights. Hire a defense attorney from Colson, Maxwell, and Smith today.

What if you change your mind?

What if you change your mind?

In order to withdraw a plea, you must make a case to the judge that there is good cause for doing so. These reversals are usually only successful if:

  • There wasn’t a factual basis for the plea
  • The defendant did not understand the charges
  • The defendant was not informed of his or her constitutional rights

If your case meets any of these criteria, you can file a motion with the clerk of court to reverse your plea. There is usually a time limit for plea withdrawals, and these can be as soon as 10 days after a sentencing. If you miss your deadline, you can file a writ of habeas corpus.

To learn more about your options, dial 931-823-6841 now to speak with an attorney at Colson, Maxwell, and Smith.